Vegan Chocolate Soufflé

There is absolutely NO difference in taste compared to any other (good) chocolate soufflé I have eaten before (and there where a lot in my omnivore and vegetarian days, trust me). I dare say that this one is probably even better.

Most of you have probably heard of Aquafaba before, exactly like the name suggests its bean water. Yes the water that you usually get rid off when opening a can of beans. In the future don’t! Because it’s going to take your vegan baking to the next level.

The magic of aquafaba is also what makes this recipe so easy to make for everyone,  you can’t do anything wrong. When you make a soufflé that has eggs and butter there are about a million things that can go wrong. But this proofs yet again that you simply do not need eggs for baking. So without further ado, heres the VEGAN CHOCOLATE SOUFFLÉ…

12499217_10153875317621241_2037939423_o

Makes 4 soufflés.

Ingredients:

• 1 c Aquafaba
  • 6 tbsp of powdered sugar (you can sub this with any powdered sugar replacer)
  • 1/2 c dark Chocolate
  • 1/2 c vegan butter or coconut oil
  • 3/4 c whole spelt flour
  • 4 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tbsp baking powder
  • salt

Method:

Preheat your oven to 210C.

Whip the aquafaba with a hand mixer until it turns into a meringue (this will take about 5 minutes). Then gradually add the sugar. Do a taste test to make sure the meringue is sweet enough and does not taste like beans. Add more sugar if needed.

Set the meringue aside and melt butter and chocolate together. Put aside.

In a clean bowl mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.

Gradually fold the chocolate mix into the meringue, then do the same with the flour mix. The meringue will deflate but don’t worry thats normal.

Divide between 4 soufflé tins and bake for approximately 20 mins. But watch them closely as every oven is different and you don’t want your soufflés to become solid in the center!

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

• Reply nutmegandwhiskey January 10, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Whoa! Hold up! Using bean water in baked goods??? That sounds wild enough to try!! But does it matter in the kind of bean? Like black beans or red beans or something? I suppose whichever tastes the least beany…. but I’m not sure!

• Reply aboutthatfood January 10, 2016 at 9:29 pm

I know, its revolutionary. I use chickpea. White beans definitely work as well. I’m pretty sure black or red beans would do the trick but the aquafaba will be stronger in flavor so you will have to add a lot more sugar for it to taste good.

• Reply nutmegandwhiskey January 10, 2016 at 9:35 pm

THAT’S WHAT I FIGURED!! black and red beans are way too flavorful for baking. But chickpeas?? And white beans?? That’s amazing. As an egg replacer, yeah? Because even though I’m not vegan, I do toy with the idea sometimes and I like the challenge of a vegan baked good!

• Reply aboutthatfood January 10, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Yes, give it a try. The sugar will eliminate any bean flavor, you just have to use the right amount.

• Reply Lauren May 30, 2016 at 3:31 am

I just tried this with black bean water and it didn’t work. I gave up after about 10 min in the mixer. I switched to chick pea and now they are in the oven 🙂

• Reply Ossie Sharon April 10, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Hi, there. LOVE this recipe – it will be my birthday cake this year. Thanks so much 🙂 (Just a note – spelt “flour” not “flower”).

• Reply Vegan Pavlova Burgers – About That Food July 1, 2016 at 1:07 pm

[…] been following my blog for a while you know that I love experimenting with aquafaba, like here and here. Meringues used to be one of my favorite sweets and once I discovered that I could make them vegan […]

• Reply Manisha December 23, 2016 at 12:47 pm

I am planning to make this for Christmas dessert this year but I could not find spelt flour in the supermarket. Can I replace spelt flour with plain flour?

• Reply melina@melinakutelas.com December 24, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Sure can! Hope they turn out well. x

• Reply Cayenne Sweeney March 20, 2017 at 10:58 pm

Can I make one big souffle with this recipe instead of 4 small ones?!!?!?!

• Reply melina@melinakutelas.com March 23, 2017 at 1:45 pm

You would obviously have to adjust the baking time. But I have never tried it so I can’t say if it works. x

• Reply Maria April 21, 2017 at 2:05 pm

If I don’t want to bake all of them, how long can I keep them in the refrigerator?

• Reply melina@melinakutelas.com May 9, 2017 at 12:31 pm

They should last about 2-3 days but I would recommend eating them straight out of the oven 🙂