I can’t lie, this recipe is a complete ‘cleaning out my fridge’ creation. But I’m really glad about how it came together though, a perfect and easy weekday dinner or even lunch on the go recipe.
The fact that miso and aubergines go together pretty amazingly is no secret at all. But who would have thought that paprika roasted chickpeas would go so perfectly with that mix? The almost wilted fresh spinach just adds some extra goodness to it.
This one is definitely going to become a staple in my kitchen.
for the rice:
- 1 cup or 190g of brown rice
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
- juice of half a lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
for the chickpeas:
- 1 can or 220g of chickpeas
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- a pinch of salt & pepper
for the aubergines:
- 2 aubergines
- 1 tbsp of miso paste
- 2 tbsp of tahini
- 3 tbsp of boiling hot water
- a splash of lemon juice
- 1 small clove of garlic
- Start by cooking your rice and preheating your oven to 200C.
- Next rinse and dry the chickpeas and add into a flat ovenproof dish.
- Add the olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the chickpeas and mix until everything is well combined.
- Transfer into the oven and bake for 10-15 mins.
- Next cut the aubergines in half and cut a diamond shape into the flesh. Add the miso into a small bowl together with the hot water and mix until the miso hast dissolved. Next add the tahini, lemon juice and garlic. Brush the aubergines with the miso sauce. If you habe any leftover sauce, just drizzle it over the finished dish.
- Once the chickpeas are done, add the aubergines into the oven and bake for about 30 mins.
- When the rice is done, add the spinach, lemon, salt and pepper as well as the chickpeas to the hot rice and stir a little so they spinach just starts wilting a little bit.
- Finally serve the aubergines on top of the rice and chickpeas.