If you have been following my blog for a while you know that I love experimenting with aquafaba, like here and here. Meringues used to be one of my favorite sweets and once I discovered that I could make them vegan I had to try out as many uses for it as possible.
Since its getting pretty hot outand summer is in full swing, I thought I’d make a super easy little summer dessert. These pavlova burgers are incredible pretty and very easy to make. All it takes is a little time for the meringues to bake.
Makes 6-8 mini burgers.
For the Meringue Buns:
- 3/4 of a cup or 165ml aquafaba
- 3/4 of a cup or 105g powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- a tiny bit of pink vegan food coloring (optional)
For the whipped cream:
- 2 cans of coconut milk refrigerated overnight
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp plant based milk
- and some berries or other fruits of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 100C.
- Add the aquafaba into a large bowl. Using a hand mixer start beating the aquafaba for about 5 mins until a meringue is starting to form.
- Next gradually add the sugar to the meringue while beating. Beat for a few more minutes until the meringue becomes glossy and stiff.
- Line your baking tray with a piece of parchment paper and divide the meringue into 12 evenly sized ‘Burger Buns’. Transfer into the oven and bake for about 2 hours.
- Take the meringue buns out of the oven and let it cool down completely.
- While the meringue buns are cooling down make the coconut whip. Simply scrape out the hard bit from the top of the can. Make sure to not get any of the liquid. Add to your blender together with the agave and the oat milk. Blend until a smooth cream forms.
- Finally assemble your burgers and serve immediately.