Saying that I came up with the idea of a carrot hot dog would obviously be a lie. But the whole idea and the images I’ve seen so far were to intriguing not to give it a try and make my own version of it.The last time I had a Hot Dog was many years ago at Ikea and I remember being very unimpressed with he whole idea of a sausage in a bun with some added condiments. It just felt very plain and boring.
I was definitely in doubt about this, but the crazy thing is that it actually tastes like a hot dog, the flavor of the carrots has just the right mixture of sweet and tanginess to it, to be a convincing sausage. The added flavor bonus of my version with the red cabbage and arugula makes it even better and a little bit more special. I also decided, after looking at the ingredients of a pack of hot dog buns, to not buy the traditional ones and go for a some freshly baked wholegrain buns that resembled the shape instead.
Makes 4 Carrot Dogs.
- 4 hot dog sized carrots
- 4 wholegrain buns (I didn’t use traditional hot dog buns)
- ketchup and mustard to taste
- 2 handful of arugula
for the marinade:
- 1/4 cup or 60ml water
- 1/4 cup or 60ml tamari
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp maple sirup
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
for the red cabbage:
- 1 head of red cabbage
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 apples
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp maple sirup
- 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup or 240ml of water
- Start by boiling the carrots in salt water for about 12-14 mins, depending on their size.
- In a shallow dish mix together all the ingredients for the marinade and add the carrots after they have finished cooking and are cooled down a bit.
- Now place in the fridge and let them soak for 24h.
- To make the red cabbage, heat up the olive oil in a large pot.
- Slice the onion and cut the apples into small cubes. Cook the onions until translucent then add the apple and the maple sirup and cook for 5 mins.
- Next cut the cabbage into small strips and add to the pot together with the vinegar.
- Cover and let it cook for 10 mins.
- Finally add the salt and pepper and the water, stir and let it simmer for 35 mins. Drain any excess liquid from the cabbage.
- In a skillet heat up some more olive oil on medium/high heat and fry you carrots on each side for about 2-3 mins.
- Slice your buns open, add the arugula and the cabbage, then the carrot dog and finally top off with some ketchup and mustard. Serve.