Chocolate and I, we have such a love hate relationship. I’ve tried giving it up several times and never manage to stick to it. I don’t care about the calories or the fat, thats not why. But most store-bought vegan chocolate bars, as delicious as they are have a lot of overly processed and nutrient poor ingredients.
All those poor ingredients giving this delicious treat such a bad rep. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Making your own chocolate from high quality nutrient rich ingredients is not only easy and delicious but so satisfying, because there is nothing like making something like chocolate from scratch.
This recipe uses coconut sugar which unlike white sugar has loads of fibre and nutrients as well as cacao which if high in quality (preferably raw) can be such an amazing superfood
*This recipe was inspired by Dietissima, who I recently took some photos for. Check her site out!
Makes approx. 4 bars of chocolate
- 150g or 1 1/4 cup of cocoa butter
- 90g or 3/4 c of coconut sugar
- 4 tbsp cashew butter
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/3 cup pinenuts
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup almond/walnut mix
- 2 tbsp dried rose petals
- In a medium sized pot melt the cocoa butter
- Then stir in the coconut sugar, let the mix simmer while siring occasionally until the coconut sugar has dissolved.
- Next add the cashew butter, cocoa powder, salt and vanilla powder
- Stir until everything is well mixed together.
- Line a small baking tray with some aluminium foil and add the entire liquid chocolate. Place in the fridge for about 10 mins.
- Remove from the fridge and divide into 4 section, adding the pine nuts, hazelnuts, almond/walnut mix and tired rose petals each into one section.
- Place back into the fridge and let it harden completely.