When I first heard of Nutella Pizza I had very mixed feelings. I thought it would either be totally awful or the best thing ever, it turned out to be the latter. It sounds like something incredibly unhealthy, but it can be turned into something very nutritious while still being absolutely delicious.
You obviously don’t have to make the nutella yourself, you could just use a store-bought vegan one and just make the base. Which happens to be the easiest pizza base ever, and it can be used for any type of pizza you like. But making your own nutella is not only pretty rewarding, as anything you make from scratch, but it’s also an easy way to avoid nasty ingredients like white sugar or palmoil.
Makes 2 Pizzas.
for the base:
- 1 cup or 120g of almonds
- 1 cup or 100g of oats
- 1/2 cup or 100g of rice flour
- 1/2 cup or 70g of buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp of psyllium husk seeds
- 3 tbsp of ground flaxseed
- 1 cup or 230ml of water
- 4 tbsp coconutoil + a little extra to brush the bases
- a pinch of salt
for the nutella:
- 2 cups of hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup of agave sirup
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla powder
- different berries & figs to garnish
- Start by making the nutella: Preheat the oven to 180c. Lay the hazelnuts out on a baking tray and bake for 10 mins.
- Take the hazelnuts out of the oven and let them cool down.
- Place the hazelnuts in the food processor together with the cocoa, salt and vanilla powder. Blend for about 10 mins.
- Then add the maple sirup and the water and blend until a smooth nutella cream forms.
- Next make the pizza base. Turn the oven again to 180C.
- In the clean bowl of the food processor add all of the dry ingredients for the base and blend until everything is properly ground up.
- Then add the water and the coconut oil and blend again. The mix will roll up into a balk of dough.
- Line a 2 pizza dishes or round cake pans with baking paper. Divide the dough in half and spread out evenly on each of the dishes
- Brush the bases with a little bit of olive oil and bake for 10 mins.
- Take the pizza bases out of the oven and spread the nutella on the pizzas. Garnish with some berries and serve while still warm.