These delicious little treats are the perfect snack whenever you’re craving something sweet. And most importantly they are made from pistachio & salted caramel covered in chocolate, do I need to say more? I also decided to add some cinnamon into the mix because pistachio and cinnamon happen to be a heavenly combination, which I just discovered recently.
My favorite thing about this recipe is the fact that it proofs how simple it is to create sweets using just a few ingredients that are healthy and taste just as good, if not better, than any store bought version. You don’t need refined sugar, flavor enhancers or animal protein at all.
Makes 5 bars
- 1 1/2 cups or 270g dates
- 1 1/2 cups or 185g ground unsalted pistachios
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup or 80ml of water
- 100g dark vegan chocolate
- Start by making the salted caramel paste. Transfer 1/2 a cup (90g) into a sauce pan and add the water and a 1/2 tsp salt. On medium heat stir until the dates are completely dissolved. Keep adding a little more water if the mixture is too dry. The final result should be a thick caramel like paste.
- Next add the ground pistachios and the remaining dates together with the cinnamon and 1/4 tsp salt in to a food processor and mix for a few minutes until everything sticks together.
- Use the date-pistachio mix to form 5 bars using your hands. Spread the date paste on top and put in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to allow then to set.
- In a double boiler melt the chocolate and cover the bars. Put into the refrigerator again for about half an hour.