A good old veggie stew is a dish that you should be making at least once this fall. It’s easy, it’s delicious and everyone will love it. There are also a few very simple ways you can spruce your stew up a little bit, buy adding some fresh spinach and yoghurt or serving it in a carved out pumpkin.
- 4 small sized pumpkins, you can use different varieties
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4-6 tomatoes, depending on their size
- 2 handful of fresh baby spinach
- 250g unsweetened soy joghurt
- 1 can of coconutmilk
- 1 tbsp of canola oil
- a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp dry coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat up the oven to 220C. Place the pumpkins into the hot oven and bake for 30-35 mins.
- In the meantime chop the onions into small cubes, the cauliflower into little florets and mince the garlic.
- Heat up the oil in a large pot on medium heat and sauté the onions in the oil, once the onions are translucent add the cauliflower and the garlic, toss them in the oil and let them cook for about 3 mins.
- Next chop the tomatoes into small cubes and add to the pot. Reduce the heat a little bit and stir the tomatoes while the dissolve in the pot for about 5 mins.
- Next add the coconut milk, the spices and the tamari to the pot at make sure everything is well combined. Cover the pot and let every thing simmer until the pumpkins are ready to take out of the oven.
- Remove the top of the pumpkins using a knife. Remove the seeds and carve out the meat. Place the meat on the chopping board and cut into smaller pieces if necessary. Then add to the pot with the stew.
- Let everything simmer for another 30 minutes to allow the pumpkin to almost dissolve.
- Finally add salt and pepper to taste and then add the stew into the carved out pumpkins. Top off with the baby spinach and the yoghurt, serve and enjoy!