I love Pecans so much, they even might be my favourite type of nut. My preferred way of eating Pecans is this creamy and sweet spread on top of a vegan brioche or some dark bread. To me this is the king of all sweet bread spreads, it even surpasses nutella. Its also much easier to make and you only need 4 ingredients! It is however pretty decadent, that is probably not best to satisfy your everyday sugar cravings. But it is definitely an amazing treat now and then, and it makes a perfect gift for friends and family!
I used to struggle with making nut butters at home, I think that was partly due to my impatience and also because my equipment wasn’t suited for it. So make sure you have a really good food processor that can handle breaking down the nuts all the way. Another trick however, that I recently came across, is simply using an electric coffee grinder. It will speed up the process a lot but you will need to make it in a few batches.
Makes one 200ml jar.
- 1 1/2 cups of pecans
- 3/4 cups of coconut sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- In a dry skillet roast your pecans for about 5 minutes.
- Let the roasted pecans cool down a little and place in the food processor. Blend on high until they are broken down to a course flour
- Now add the salt and the coconut sugar and continue to blend on high for another 5 minutes. You might need to stop blending and scrape down some bits from the sides every now and then, so everything is broken down evenly.
- Then add the canola oil and blend for 5 more minutes. Now the nuts should be broken down to a soft and delicious spread. It might take a few minutes more or less.