I have touched on the subject of being influenced by my mediterranen heritage on this blog before. The Zucchini & Almond Patties for these burgers can not deny their origin in the greek kitchen. Traditionally made with feta cheese these used to be one of my favourite greek dishes. The combination of zucchini and the creamy tanginess of the feta cheese is a fl combination that is simple but genius.
I have been missing the taste of these for a long time, and in the back of my mind I have always been thinking ‘..but you could just simply try and substitute almond feta, you have made it before..’. Don’t ask why it has taking me this long to finally try it, but here we are. Proofing once again that it is so simple to reinvent a dish with completely healthy and plant based options without compromising any of the taste.
You can of course serve these without the rest of the burger buns and the chutney, but I really loved the idea of making them into proper hamburgers, and the taste of the patties with the pear chutney really compliment each other.
Zucchini & Almond Patties
- 340g or 2 2/3 cups shredded zucchini
- 200g or 1 1/2 cups almonds (soaked in water overnight)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp of water
- 2 tbsp of freshly chopped dill
- 100g or 3/4 cup of chickpeaflour
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk seeds
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place the soaked almond in a food processor together with the lemon juice, salt, garlic and water. Pulse until a smooth cream forms. Add more water if needed to break down the almonds.
- Add the” almond cream” in a bowl together with the zucchini shreds, the dill, psyllium husk seeds and chickpeaflour. Add some more salt & pepper to taste.
- Mix everything well together and let it sit for about 30 mins.
- After 30 mins. Preheat some canola oil in a large skillet and form 6 burger patties out of about 2 tbsp worth of patter each.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- 500g or about 3 medium pears
- 5 tbsp maple sirup
- 100 ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- 100g or 1 medium onion
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- Chop the pear into bite sized pieces. Add into a sauce pan together with the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer and cook on medium heat until all of the liquid has dissolved.
To assemble the Hamburgers
- 6 burger buns
- 6 tsp of ketchup
- 2 handful of kale
- fresh or pickled red onions
- Cut the buns in half and heat up in the oven on the grill setting for about a minute.
- Add the kale, the Zucchini Almond Patties, top with the ketchup, chutney and onions.
- Serve with a side of oven baked potatoes.