The only part about risotto that I honestly don’t like is the seemingly endless stirring, it’s just boring. But the outcome is just that much more satisfying, because there are few things in life better than a perfectly creamy risotto, at least when it comes to food.
Now you might ask, how do you achieve this perfect creaminess, without the added parmesan? Well some of you probably have guessed it already, its the magical combination of nutritional yeast and almond butter. This little vegan risotto “trick” can be used in any risotto you like and it will definitely leave with the question, ‘How is this vegan?’.
For this recipe I decided on beetroot, not only is beetroot something everyone should be eating during winter and flu season (I explain why in this post.), but it is also delicious and gives your risotto a stunning colour that will make you wan to eat it even more, or stare at it for a while.
Serves 4-5 people
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 500g of risotto rice
- 2 tbsp of vegan white wine
- about 2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth (1250ml)
- 1 1/2 medium beetroots (270g)
- 3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp of dry thyme
- 1 tbsp of almond butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 king oyster mushrooms
- 2 tbsp of chili oil
- First chop the onion, mince the garlic and peel and grate the beetroot into fine shreds using a rough cheese grater.
- In a medium pot heat up the coconut oil and cook the onions until translucent, add the garlic and cook for about 1 more minute.
- Add the rice and cook while stirring until the rice becomes translucent, then deglaze with the white wine.
- Start adding the vegetable broth about 100ml at at time, while continuously stirring. Whenever the broth has gone, add a little more and so on.
- Do this until about half of the broth is cooked into the rice, then add the beetroot shreds. Continue adding the broth and stirring the rice until all of the broth is gone. Taste the rice for desired creaminess and consistency and if needed add a little more or less broth.
- Once you feel the risotto is finished add the nutritional yeast, thyme and almond butter and mix in well with the risotto, it will leave it even more rich and creamy as before.
- Finally add salt & pepper to taste.
- For the King oyster mushrooms, cut each of them into about 1cm thick slices and brush with the chili oil. Set the oven on grill and make sure it has properly heated about (about 5-10 mins depending on your oven). Then grill in the oven for 10 mins, no need to turn them around.
- Then serve on top of the risotto