During the winter months the options of fruit accessible to me are rather limited and I do like to change it up a little, Poached Pears are perfect for that! I am not exactly a morning person so I love making my breakfast ahead of time so I just have to grab something out of the fridge in the morning.
I made this recipe a couple of times now in bigger batches and every morning I get up to a delicious and healthy breakfast. The berries give the pears a perfect subtle sweetness and the lavender adds something little extra that is kind of unexpected. The best thing about this recipe is that the after 2 days in the fridge the flavors are even more enhanced which I love. But don’t think for a second these aren’t worth eating fresh out of the pot, because they are also amazing while still warm!
Ingredients for the pears:
- 4 small pears
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried lavender
- 3 tbsp maple sirup
Ingredients for the granola:
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple sirup
- a pinch of salt
- In a medium pot heat up 2 cups of water together with the blueberries, raspberries, lavender ans maplse sirup. Cover and bring to a simmer and let it cook for about 20 mins.
- In the meantime make the granola. Preheat the oven to 160C. Add the almonds into your food processor and pulse a few times until they are broken up a little.
- Place them in a bowl together with the remaining ingredients for the granola. Stir until everything is well mixed together, and everything is coated in oil and sirup.
- Place on a baking tray and roast in the oven for about 30 mins while stirring it up with a wooden spoon every 5-10 mins.
- Next peel the pears, cut them in half and remove the cores with the help of a small spoon or a melon baller.
- After it has done simmering pour the berry mixture through a fine sieve, saving only the liquid. Place the liquid back into the pan and add the pears and simmer again for 30 mins.
- After 30 mins serve the pears together with the granola and some vegan yogurt or milk.