This Blood Orange Ice Cream is probably one of the easiest recipes I can think of. It’s super creamy, there is no crystallization so there is no confusing it with sorbet and you don’t need an ice cream maker, just a freezer.
I created it on a whim, with the intention of sprucing up the good old “nice cream” I make for myself on a regular, which is just frozen bananas with some vanilla extract. But it did turn out much more like “real” ice cream and people seemed to like the sound of it on Instagram, so I decided to make it into a recipe.
- 5 frozen bananas
- the cream of 2 cans of coconut milk
- the juice of 2 blood oranges
- the zest of 1 blood orange
- 2-3 tbsp of maple sirup
- a pinch of salt
- Place the two cans of coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
- The next day open the cans and scrape out the hardened coconut cream from the top of the cans, not the liquid and place it in your blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend for a few minutes until it becomes very smooth.
- Now place in a container and freeze for about 4 hours before serving.