This Zucchini and Carrot Slices come to be on a Sunday when I was about to have 7 people over for brunch and I needed a last minute solution, so I could serve something else besides cake and hummus. All that was left in my fridge where Zucchini and Carrots and I thought to myself these are the perfect savory muffin ingredients. They muffins where a hit and luckily I could kind of remember what ingredients I had used to write them down for this recipe. It happens to me so often that I come up with something on the spot, don’t write down the recipe, it turns out to be a hit but because I can never remember anything, the recipe is lost forever. Luckily this time I was smarter then that.
Now you’re probably thinking, but this recipes says Zucchini and Carrot Slices, so why are you talking about muffins? Sometimes you have to let a recipe be for a while and then think if it could work even better as something a little different. In this case, it came out to be Zucchini and Carrot Slices, because that way the turn out even softer and it’s also quicker to make.
But of you’re course you can make this your own and transform it to whatever you feel works best. I love the idea of the slices, because not only do they work perfect for brunch or a savory breakfast but you can also serve them as a side for lunch or dinner instead of bread.
Gluten free Zucchini & Carrot Slices
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 large handfuls of babyspinach
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 150g (3/4 cup) rice flour
- 150g (3/4 cup) buckwheat flour
- 90g (3/4 cup) almond meal
- 2 tbsp dry parsley
- 2 tbsp dry basil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 130g (3/4 cup) schredded carrots
- 160g (3/4 cup) zucchini 160g (3/4 cup)
- 70g vegan butter (melted) or 50g coconut oil
- 350ml (1 1/3 cup) soy milk
- about 7 cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line a square oven proof tin with some baking paper.
- Heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a skillet and finely chop the onion. Add the onion into the hot oil and cook until translucent.
- Then add the cumin, toss the onions in the cumin and cool for 1 more minute, then add the spinach and stir until the spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl mix all of the dry ingredients. Then shred the zucchini and the carrots using a parmesan grater and add into the bowl with the dry ingredients together with the onions and the spinach, mix well.
- Finally add the melted vegan butter and the soy milk and stir until everything is well combined.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place them on top of the batter.
- Now spread out in your lined oven dish and transfer into the oven for about 40-45 mins.
- I like to serve mine with a side of homemade cashew cream.