Who doesn’t love a good Burger. There are endless ways to create a great veggie burger, that ist just as delicious and satisfying as a traditional one and more often much healthier. These Sweet Potato Pattie Burgers are a great trat for all year round, the are quick and perfect for Burger night!
Veggie Burgers are everywhere right now and there are so many different ones, you can get great mock meat alternatives from soy or wheat protein, amazing tofu burgers, all kinds of veggie & legume patties. Usually homemade veggie patties require quite a lot of preperation, not this one. All you need is some flour, starch, water, some breadcrumbs and a sweet potato, I also tried making this with butternut squash which also tasted amazing, but they are not in season right now. So sweet potato it is. By baking the coated sweet potato after spraying it with a little bit of oil you get a great crunchy texture on the outside and a soft inside from the sweet potato, which makes for such a lovely consistency.
If you give these a try, let me know and show me your creations on Instagram (tag @aboutthatfood). I love to see what you guys get up to, trying out my recipes!
Sweet Potato Burger with Roasted Red Pepper
makes 4 Burgers
- 4 burger buns
- 1 red pepper
- a handful of fresh lettuce
- 4 slices of vegan cheese (optional)
- 1 large round sweet potato
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of soy flour
- 2 tbsp of cornstarch
- 1 tsp of paprika powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- some olive oil in a little spray bottle (I always keep some olive oil in a spray bottle around as its super handy for so many things)
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Peel your sweet potato and cut it into 4 slices, about 1cm thick.
- Prepare 3 shallow bowls. One with the all purpose flour, one with the breadcrumbs and in the thrid mix together the soy flour, cornstarch, paprika powder and salt and whisk together with the water.
- Start by coating your slices in first the flour, second the soyflour mix and finally the breadcrumbs. Now spray with the oil and bake for 15-20 minutes on each side.
- While the sweet potatoes are in the oven, heat up some more olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Cut the pepper into 4 even slices and roast until they become soft.
- If you’re adding some vegan cheese add it on top of the patties and set the oven to broil for the last 3-5 minutes of baking.
- Finally assemble the burger, first add the lettuce, then the patties, top off with the peppers and also add some ketchup or mustard if you like.