A little simple recipe to start off the weekend, Jackfruit Stir Fry. Everyone loves a good stir fry and even though its a pretty simple dish to make there are a few things you want to keep in mind before making one.
First and most important, don’t add to much to your wok, only cook about 2 servings at a time, otherwise your veggies won’t fry properly. Second don’t overdo it with the soy sauce, it’s tempting to pour in loads if it, but I go with about 1 tbsp per serving. If you add to much you run the risk of it being way to salty and overpowering the flavor of everything else. Third and final, is heat. The oil in your wok should be steaming hot before adding your other ingredients.
With these simple tricks in mind you will achieve a perfect stir fry everything. The beauty if this dish is that the possibilities are endless, it’s a true fridge cleaner. For this one I opted for the classics like, zucchini, shiitake, baby corn and carrots. But to add a little twist I added some young green jackfruit. It’s such a great addition to your stir fry because it adds great texture and a subtle sweetness. Serve it just by itself or with some mie or rice noodles.
Jackfruit Stir Fry
- 2 tbsp of canola oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 chili
- 1 red onion
- 2 spring onions
- 1 can of young green jackfruit
- 2 regular sized carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small zucchini
- a handful of baby corn
- 200g of shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- a handful of coriander
- 2 tbsp of sesame seeds
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- Heat up the canola oil in a wok. While its heating up prep all your veggies and rinse and drain the jackfruit.
- Mince the garlic and the chili or pestle it in a mortar. The add it into the wok cook for a few seconds then add the red and spring onion. Cook for a few more seconds.
- Then add your vegetables and crumble in the jackfruits, just using your hands. Keep stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Once the veggies have softened add the sesame oil and the soy sauce. And stir for a about 1 more minute.
- Remove the stir fry from the heat, serve and sprinkle all your garnishes on top