The recipe for this Strawberry Cream Cake is long overdue. I first posted a picture of it, on Instagram a couple of weeks ago. Promising the to post the recipe soon. But just as life goes, time flew by quicker than I had anticipated and I didn’t even manage to put it up in time for Mother’s Day. I did manage to make it however, on Mother’s Day and I think my mum was pretty pleased. But since it’s almost summer there are plenty of occasions this cake is perfect for.
My favorite part of this cake, is the consistency. Its so fluffy and creamy that it melts in your mouth, just perfect for summer.
No Bake Strawberry and Cream Cake
for the base:
- 90g or 1/2 cup of raw almonds
- 100g or 1 cup of oats
- 20g 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- a pinch of salt
- 14 pitted medjool dates
- 3-4 tbsp of melted coconut oil
for the filling:
- 500g of strawberrys
- 1 1/2 cups or 400g of vegan curd (a very firm vegan yoghurt will work as well)
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 100g or 1/2 cup of xylit
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla powder
- 1 tsp of agar agar
- 150ml or 1/2 cup of water
- 200 ml of vegan cream
- Start by making the base. Simply pulse all the ingredients for the base except for the dates and coconut oil in a food processor until a course meal forms.
- Then add the dates and the coconut oil and blend until it sticks together.
- Line the bottom of a 22cm cake tin with baking paper and press the mixture down the bottom so it forms a nice and even base.
- Next cut enough strawberry in half to line the outsides of the cake tin on top of the base, press them firmly up on the sides so there is no space in between. Then fill in the the center with whole strawberries. Make sure they are all roughly the same size and not to big so you don’t have any strawberries peaking out at the end.
- Then whisk together the vegan curd with the lime juice, vanilla powder and the xylit and set aside.
- In as small sauce pan combine the water and the agar agar powder and whisk until the agar agar has dissolved. Then bring to a boil and boil for a minute and let it cool down, but making sure it doesn’t for a gel before you add it to the other ingredients.
- Whip up the vegan cream as per instructions, it helps using a chilled bowl and for some vegan creams it helps to add some modified starch to help it stiffen up.
- Mix the cooled down agar agar with the curd mixture and then gently fold in the cream.
- Now pour everything on top of the strawberries and the base. Place in the fridge to chill and firm up for at least 4 hours, ideally over night.
- Before its ready to serve decorate with some strawberry slices and some ground nuts (I used ground pistachios)