Ok, little confession here: I have a weird fascination with everything smaller than it’s smaller than its intended size. In short, I love tiny stuff. Especially when it comes to food. So when I found these mini peppers in my local supermarket I had to do something with it.
This recipe wis kind of inspired by a traditional Tabouleh, but only made with Quinoa, some hummus added to the mix and then stuffed inside a tiny pepper. So almost the same thing. Not. 🙂
Mini Stuffed and Roasted Peppers
- 12 mini peppers (or 4 large ones)
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
for the hummus:
- 1 cup or 180g of cooked chickpeas
- 1 generous tbsp of tahini
- 1 clove of garlic
- the juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- salt & pepper
- about 4 tbsp of water
for the filling:
- 1 cup or 190g of quinoa
- 1 lemon
- a handful of fresh parsley
- a handful of arugula
- 1/2 a pomegranate
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Wash and dry your peppers and then place on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast for about 15 mins in the oven then flip and roast for another 5-10 mins. Watch them closely so they don’t turn black and check for consistency, once they are soft to the touch, they are ready to be taken out of the oven.
- While you are roasting the peppers start cooking your quinoa, together with 2 and half cups of water and the juice of 1/2 lemon for about 20 mins. Rinse well before cooking.
- Next make the hummus by simply adding all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Once the peppers are done, slice them open lengthwise on one side. Using a small spoon carefully remove the seeds from inside.
- Then chop the parsley and the arugula and remove the seeds from the pomegranate. Mix the cooked quinoa with 3 tbsp of hummus, the parsely, arugula, pomegranate seeds, the juice of 1/2 a lemon and loads of salt & pepper.
- Then carefully using a small spoon stuff the peppers with the quinoa mix and serve with a side of leftover hummus.
Ps: This recipe works just as well with about 4 regular sized peppers. Just make sure to adjust the time when baking them.