These past few days have been chocolate mayhem for me, not on purpose or for any particular reason I just really felt like making chocolaty things. The outcome was this recipe, which is so rich and cream its crazy and the chili adds spiciness – I have been in love with the combination of chili and chocolate ever since I was a small kid.
While making these I wasn’t sure to be honest if they would turn out like a pudding or more like a chocolate pana cotta, to me it’s somewhere in between but definitely closer to a pudding. You could probably get away with using a little less of the agar agar if you prefer them softer, more like pana cotta.
These things are pretty easy to make and they don’t take terribly long to chill in the fridge, about 3 hours should be fine. Using different kinds of molds also makes it a little more fun, I used little tarte forms, and different small pudding molds. If you don’t have anything like that on hand, espresso cups for example would work fine as well, nothing fancy.
Dark Chocolate & Chili Puddings
Makes 11-12 little puddings
- 2 cans of full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla powder
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 2 tsp agar agar
- 1/2 -1 tbsp chili flakes
- 100g of dark vegan chocolate (70% or more)
- Add the coconut milk into a pot and whisk in all of the other ingredients except for the chocolate.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 3 mins while whisking.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place into a large bowl. Through a sieve pour the coconut milk mixture over the chocolate pieces.
- Stir until all of the chocolate has melted.
- Now pour into different little molds and place in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Before serving sprinkle some sea salt flakes on top