This recipe is part of the Mediterranean Beach Picnic Story, to see the whole story click here.
Melitzanosalata is a greek classic, you can find it at any greek tavern or restaurant. Most of the time it is served vegan, only sometimes they add feta or mayo, so be sure to ask if you want to order some. However if you’re planning to make some at home, I got you covered. This recipe is absolutely foolproof and it’s been a favourite of mine for a long time. Traditionally Melitzanosalata is made with smoked aubergines, that have been roasted in a fire oven. If you aren’t among the few lucky ones who happen to have a wood fired oven at home you can torch them after roasting while the shell is still on, to get a little bit of a smoky flavour.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 4 large eggplants
- 1 small red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- a handful of fresh parsley
- 1 red pepper, cooked
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven the 180C. Place the aubergines and the red pepper inside.
- Bake the aubergines for about 1 hour and remove the red pepper from the oven after about 20 mins, or when you feel it is done.
- Once you remove the red pepper from the oven place inside a small pot and cover. Leave it there to cool for a while.
- Once it has cooled down a little peel of the skin, remove the seeds and cut into small cubes.
- Next chop the onion and the parsley and place into a bowl together with the pepper.
- Once the aubergines are cooked and completely soft, remove the skin and cut into small pieces and place into the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Now add the oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt & pepper.
- Stir well, taste test and adjust the seasonings accordingly.