This recipe is part of the Mediterranean Beach Picnic Story, to see the whole story click here.
Who doesn’t love a good Galette? In my book its the perfect dessert to bring along to a picnic. It’s rustic, quite easy to transport and prepared in no time. The peaches in Greece are like nothing you have ever tasted so sweet, juicy and perfectly ripe that it was almost tricky to find good ones for the galette. Because that is key for this recipe, find peaches that are not too firm but also not too juicy so they will keep their form and not turn the whole galette into a soggy mess. For an extra touch I added some almond butter before laying out the peaches, because why the hell not.
Peach & Almond Galette
For 1 Galette:
For the crust:
- 500g (2 cups) of flour
- 4 tbsp of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 10 tbsp of vegan butter, ice cold am firm
- 8 tbsp of ice cold water
for the filling:
- 2-3 firm peaches
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of tapioca starch
- a dash of vanilla powder
- 3 tbsp of almond butter
- 4 tbsp of sugar
- a little soy milk to brush
- 3 tbsp of almond chips to sprinkle
- Place the flour, the sugar and the salt into your food processor and pulse two times.
- Then add the butter in small pieces and pulse until the little clumps of butter are about pea sized.
- Then add the water and pulse a few more times. Add the crumbly dough onto a clean surface, press it together an form a disk, cover with cling foil and place into the fridge to rest for 1 hour.
- Once the dough is resting, cut the peaches into quite thick slices. Place the slices into a bowl and toss with lemon juice and tapioca starch.
- Once the dough has rested, roll it out into a floured surfaced. Brush with almond butter from the center leaving out about 3-4 cm from the edge.
- Now place the peach slices on top of the almond butter and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Fold over the clean edges and brush the outsides with soy milk.
- Sprinkle with the almond slices and then bake at 220C for about 15-20 mins.