This recipe is part of the Mediterranean Beach Picnic Story, to see the whole story click here.
I can’t think of a more perfect summer salad than a great melon salad. The watermelons in Greece are the most perfect, delicious and juicy watermelons I have ever tasted, and not including them in this series would have been unthinkable. The rich creaminess the absolutely delicious almond feta adds to the mix is just the perfect finish. I love making them with loads of other dishes as well, or just eating them by themselves, all at once….
Watermelon & Almond Feta Salad
Ingredients for 4 People:
- about a quarter of a medium sized watermelon
- 1/2 cup of Kalamata Olives
- 4 handfuls of arugula
For the Almond Feta:
- 150g (1 cup) of blanched almonds (don’t use the one with the brown shell on), soaked
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of agave sirup
- 2 tsp of mustard
- 2 tbsp of chopped basil
- 2 tbsp of water
- Place the soaked almonds with the remaining ingredients for the Feta into a food processor, pulse until it forms a crumbly consistency and you can shape little balls with your hands.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Shape the batter into little balls, about 2 tbsp worth of batter each. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for about 20 mins.
- For the vinaigrette simply dice the onion very finely and place them together with the other ingredient for the vinaigrette into a sealable jar. Shake well then set aside for a moment.
- Wash the arugula and place into a large bowl. Then chop the watermelons into bite sized cubes and add to the arugula. Next slice the Olives and add into the bowl as well.
- Drizzle everything with the vinaigrette and then crumble the Almond Feta on top.