This recipe is part of the Vegan BBQ Extravaganza, to see the whole story click here.
Until now I have shied away from making my own sausages. I thought the effort wouldn’t be worth whatever the outcome would be. Well, I was wrong. First of all the effort really isn’t all that great, they are quite simple to make. Second, the outcome is pretty amazing. They are flavourful, have a great a texture and are perfect for a BQQ, especially since you can make them days in advance, even freeze them and just throw them on the grill the day of.
Makes 8 Sausages.
- 220g of shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 can of chickpeas
- 1 white onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp of tomato puree
- 2 tbsp of miso
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp of liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 tsp of hot paprika
- 3/4 of a tsp of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp of tamari
- 2 tbsp of sesame oil
- 2 tbsp of estragon mustard
- 2 tbsp of copped basil, can be dried
- 3 tbsp of chopped chives, can be dried
- 2 tbsp of agave nectar
- 3/4 cup of veggie stock
- 2 1/2 cups of wheat gluten
- Place all of the ingredients, except for the wheat gluten, into your food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place 2 cups of the wheat gluten into a bowl and mix together by hand with the paste of the remaining ingredients.
- Place on a clean surface dusted with wheat gluten and start kneading, work in as much of the remaining wheat gluten until you get a doughy consistency.
- Now divide the dough into 8 parts and roll each part into a sausage. Wrap each sausage into a sheet of aluminium foil, twist the end tightly and make sure none of the dough can pour out while cooking.
- Bring a large pot of water to a simmer, make sure the water never starts to boil.
- Place the foil wrapped sausages into the water and simmer for 1 hour.
- After one hour remove the sausages, let them cool for a little and then unwrap.
- Slightly brush them with oil and place on the grill for a few minutes.