This recipe is part of the Vegan BBQ Extravaganza, to see the whole story click here.
Picking Chantrelle Mushrooms is one of my favourite things about summer. These beautiful and uniquely tasting mushrooms are only in season for a very short period during the summer months, and they can’t be grown by man like cremini mushrooms. So every summer when I go to the country side where my grandparents live we go to our secret spots in the woods and usually find loads of them. There are so many great recipes using chantrelle mushrooms, most of them I learned from my grandma. This is a less traditional one, that I came up with on a whim, it makes the perfect BBQ main dish, not just for vegans.
Makes 4 Sandwiches.
- 4 wholegrain buns
- 500g of Chanterelle Mushrooms
- a handful of arugula
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- some ketchup and mustard to serve
for the sauce:
- 1/2 cup of soaked cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup of veggie stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp of tamari
- 1 tsp of hot paprika powder
- 1 clove of garlic
- about 3 tbsp of minced parsley
- 1 tbsp of liquid smoke
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- a dash of cayenne pepper to taste
- Add all of the ingredients for the sauce into a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Heat up some oil in a pan on high heat and cook the mushrooms (as a whole) for about 5-7 minutes until most of their water content is gone and they have significantly reduced in size. Then use a fork to pull the mushrooms into strings.
- Add into a grill save dish and mix with the sauce. Place on the grill for about 10-15 mins.
- Place the buns on the grill as well until they crust has turned a little bit crispy.
- In the meantime slice the tomatoes and onion.
- Remove the mushrooms and the buns from the grill. Slice the buns in half, place a quarter of the mushrooms in each and top off with the sliced tomatoes and onions.
- Serve with some ketchup and mustard on the side.