It is pumpkin season and I’m obsessed. There might just be a pumpkin recipe each week from now on until the end of the season. But for the purpose of diversity, I’m going to try my best to not overload you with pumpkin themed recipes too much.That being said, I’m aware the recipe I posted last week had some pumpkin in it and I also have a few more lined up. So please indulge me or just go ahead and join my in my fixation.
This recipe came along pretty spontaneously, I just thought of it on the spot. I have been experimenting with different kind of pizza bases quite a bit on this blog, and I love the idea of continuing this little theme every now and then. This pizza base does not have any yeast in it or any other raising detergents. So do expect the feel of the crust to be slightly different than what you are used to. My favorite part about it is, that not only do you save quite a bit of time on not having to raise you dough, you also get that amazing Butternut Squash flavor through quite heavily. I topped it off with a very simple homemade tomato sauce, some onions, sundried tomatoes and some arugula.
Makes 1 large pizza.
Ingredients for the base:
- 3 cups pumpkin steamed or roasted
- 1/3 cup oat milk
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Cups flour
for the toppings:
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4-5 sundried tomatoes
- 4-5 Kalamata olives
- a few slices of red onion
- a small handful of arugula
- a few tsp of nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Cut your butternut squash into cubes and roast in the oven or steam until very soft.
- Place all of the ingredients for the base, except for the flour, into a food processor and blend until very smooth.
- Next add the flour bit by bit while the food processor is running. The batter will turn into a sticky dough.
- With the help of the back of a spoon spread the dough out thinly on a sheet of baking paper.
- For the tomato sauce cut the cherry tomatoes in half and add into a small saucepan with the oil, tomato paste basil, oregano and salt and cook with the lid on on medium heat until the tomatoes have dissolved and everything has incorporated into a nice sauce. Stir every now and then.
- Once the tomato sauce is done spread on top of the pizza base, top with olives, onions and sun dried tomatoes. Drizzle some oil on top if you like and place into the oven for about 15 mins.
- Once its out of the oven top with the arugula and nutritional yeast and serve.