This is the 3rd installment of my little series about winter vegetables, in cooperation with BILLA. In this series I introduce different recipes including winter vegetables form the BILLA range. The first two posts where about Root Vegetables with homemade pierogies and a carrot granola and preserving vegetables with pickled beets and red cabbage kimchi. You can read these posts here and here.
This week is all about winter salads. Salads are really big for me during the summer time. If you’re in a rush almost nothing beats a delicious and flavorful salad. But with winter our eating habits tend to change and therefore we find ourselves craving more hearty foods. These cravings can absolutely be satisfied by a great winter salad.
Today I am sharing two of my favorite winter salad recipes with you. The first one being a yummy savoy cabbage, massaged with some tahini, lemon juice and soy sauce and topped with roasted chickpeas and the second is made from shredded kohlrabi and apple with a yummy curry yoghurt dressing.
Massaged Savoy Cabbage Salad
Ingredients for 2 people:
- 1 large head of savoy cabbages (try and find one with many of the darker leaves still attached)
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- a splash of water
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Wash the tomatoes and cut them in half, then place inside a bowl together with the rinsed chickpeas. Add olive oil and spices and mix well.
- Place the tomatoes and chickpeas on a oven tray lined with baking paper and bake for 20 mins.
- Remove the dark leaves from the cabbage head and wash them thoroughly. You will not be needing the rest of the cabbage for this recipe, but you can make some delicious soup from it for example.
- Remove the stem from the middle of the leaves using a knife and then cut them into mouth sized pieces.
- For the dressing mix the tahini, lemon juice and soy sauce, add some water to thin the dressing out, if necessary. Now place the cabbage inside a bowl and add the dressing on top, massage the dressing in using your hands for a few minutes.
- Finally place the cabbage leaves in some bowls and serve with the roasted chickpeas and tomatoes on top.
Apple and Kohlrabi Curry Salad
Ingredients for 2 people:
- 2 kohlrabi
- 1 apple
- 1/2 a radish
- a few cilantro leaves
for the sauce:
- 3/4 cup of natural soy yoghurt
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the kohlrabi and then wash the apple and the radish. Remove the seeds from the apple and then using a coarse grater, grate them into little shreds.
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the sauce and mix well. Combine them with the kohlrabi, apple and radish shred and add some salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve in some bowls and garnish with cilantro.