It is the New Year and I’m back! After the holidays and stuffing my face with almost everything (vegan) that crossed my path I’m definitely in the mood for a fair share of greens. Even though I am not a huge believer in New Year Resolutions, I believe more in creating realistic and healthy habits for myself all throughout the year, I am definitely in the mood for something more wholesome.
This salad is a perfect combination of leafy greens, broccoli, avocado and some deliciously fried brussel sprouts and some wild rice because we need those carbs after all. With a yummy mint dressing that will keep you satisfied for lunch and dinner during this colder season.
Wild Rice and Broccoli Salad with Crunchy Fried Brussel Sprouts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 cup brussel sprouts
- 1 avocado
- 1 handful of leafy greens
- 1 tbsp peanut butter + 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tbsp tamari
- garlic powder
- 2 tbsp of chopped peanuts
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
for the dressing:
- 1/4 cup of fresh mint
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- salt & pepper to taste
- Start by washing the rice thoroughly. Add double the amount of water to a medium pot, add some salt and bring to a boil. Now add the rice and reduce to a simmer. Simmer until the water is gone, about 15 mins. Now remove from the heat and let it steam with the lid on for 10 mins. Fluff up with a fork once it’s done.
- Wash the broccoli, cut it into slices and fry in a pan with some salt for about 8 mins until it’s slightly charred. Then cover and cook for a few more minutes until the broccoli is tender.
- Wash the brussel sprouts and chop into quarters. Fry in a pan with some olive oil for about 5 mins. In a small bowl mix the peanut butter, tamari, garlic powder and water and then add to the brussel sprouts. Fry for a few more minutes until crispy.
- For the dressing mix the olive oil, lemon juice and maple syrup and then add the finely chopped mint.
- Add the rice on to a serving platter, top with the leafy greens, broccoli and avocado. Drizzle with the dressing and then garnish with the pomegranate seeds, peanuts and crispy brussel sprouts.