Making Gnocchi from scratch is not rocket science if you have made them before you know that. If not, all you need is two main ingredients and a little bit of patience. It’s not about getting the shape perfect, just have a look at mine, far from perfect. The trick is to get the ratio between potato and flour just right. You want to add enough flour to make them easy enough to work with but not too much, so the dough doesn’t become too tough.
This recipe calls for sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes, which add a welcome sweetness. The Gnocchi are then fried together with some oil and sauerkraut and served with some cashew cream, kind of as a dip. Making this dish a weird but very delicious Italian/Austrian fusion meal.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Sauerkraut & Cashewcream
Ingredients for the Gnocchi:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 440-550g or 4-5 cups of all-purpose flour
- 4 stalks of fresh thyme
Ingredients for the Cashew cream:
- 180g or 1 cup of cashews, soaked overnight.
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3-4 tbsp of water
- 300g or 2 cups of Sauerkraut
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Start by peeling the sweet potatoes, then cut it into cubes and place into a pot.
- Cover with water, add the thyme and cook until the potato cubes are soft.
- Using a potato ricer make a potato mash, you can also do this using a food processor.
- Place the mash into a bowl and add the flour about 1 cup at a time and start kneading. Continue adding flour until you have the desired texture. You want the dough to be workable and not too sticky but still quite soft and fluffy.
- Then divide the dough into four parts and roll them into four long sausages. Cut the sausages into 1 cm thick pieces and then shape your gnocchi out of each of them, with the help of a fork.
- Bring some water and salt to a boil in a large pot. Drop the Gnocchi into the boiling water and wait until they rise to the surface. Remove from the pot.
- Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet and fry the cooked gnocchi and the sauerkraut for about 4-5 mins.
- To make the cashew cream simply add all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve the gnocchi with some thyme sprinkled on top and the cashew cream on the side.